Student Assistant (all genders) in Rust Software Development
Ferrous Systems is a development service and training supplier in the space of the Rust programming language. Founded by members of the Rust project, the company engages in all aspects of Rust development and Open-Source sustainability. As a student assistant you will support the continuous development of rust-analyzer. This tool is a server implementation of the Language Server Protocol for the Rust programming language. It is the backing server that provides features like tab-completion and goto-definition for the Rust programming language for many code editors, including VS Code, Emacs and Vim.
We are particularly happy to receive applications from non-cis-male people and from other groups that are underrepresented in the IT labor market. No candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If your experience looks different from what we've identified and you think you can bring value to the role, we'd love to learn more about you!
We want you to join our team to
- Continuously improve rust-analyzer (bug fixes & features in Rust/TypeScript)
- Work on tasks independently: you pick up workable issues from the github repository and provide source code changes that solve the issues
- Create pull requests in GitHub that will be reviewed by the community
- Triage old and new issues for the project
- Publish work related blogposts
Apply to this position if
- You are a German resident and enrolled at a German university with the focus on practical computer science, software development or hardware-related programming
- You have fundamental knowledge of the Rust programming language
- You have fundamental programming skills
- You love working independently
- You are very well organized when it comes to task assumption & work organization
- You are interested in contributing to a vibrant & growing Open-Source-community
- You have good knowledge of English (B2)
- A committed team that is dedicated to Open-Source work: much of our work is Open Source and can be reused later
- A remote first workplace: work from and live anywhere you like
- A 20 hours/week position with a salary of 1.645€ per month + assumption of your student health insurance
- An international and open-minded culture & team with a good work-life-balance
- We are family and neurodiverse-friendly: complex time needs are respected
Do you have any questions for us? Feel free to ask them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you want to get to know us better, please send us an email mentioning the reference code 02-2023 in the subject line to Hiring@Ferrous-Systems.com before the closing date of 28. February 2023. Please attach your CV and mention what you are currently looking for, maybe include a link to your previous work (e.g. some git repos). Interviews will be scheduled on the 6. + 7. March 2023. We are looking forward to meeting you.